Our Signature Cooking Camp returns to the First Presbyterian Church kitchen in Santa Monica for its 6th season! Located just steps to the Promenade, this location is conveniently located near the acclaimed Santa Monica farmers market and local restaurants. Summer 2014 offerings include our popular half-day and full day sessions featuring delicious new themes and recipes, weekly field trips to the farmers market, an Iron Chef challenge, baking treats to donate to the Westside Food Pantry, and a tasting day for parents.Register Online
What Makes Our Camp Unique:
- Farmers Market and Mystery Basket Challenge: Weekly field trip to the local farmers market, where Kitchen Kids learn about seasonal farm to fork eating. After the secret ingredient is unveiled, young chefs head to the market in small groups led by a culinary coach to shop for the freshest produce available. Chefs return to the kitchen for a Mystery Basket Challenge!
- Cooking for the Common Good: Kitchen Kids experience the joy of cooking for others when they bake and package cookies, which are then delivered to Step Up on Second.
- Around the Table Fridays: Parents are invited to join us for an incredible tasting on Fridays at 11:30 (2:15 during Restaurant Camp). Witness and taste your child’s accomplishments first hand!
|Holiday Eats *SOLD OUT*||June 16 to June 20||Santa Monica||9am – 12:15pm||$435 Add to Waitlist|
|Sweets & Savories *SOLD OUT*||June 30 – July 3 (no class July 4)||Santa Monica||9am – 12:15pm||$348 Add to Waitlist|
|Taste of TV *SOLD OUT*||July 7 – July 11||Santa Monica||9am – 3pm||$525 Add to Waitlist|
|Restaurant Camp *SOLD OUT*||July 14 to July 18||Santa Monica||9am – 3pm||$525 Add to Waitlist
|Taste of TV *SOLD OUT*||July 21 to July 25||Santa Monica||9am – 3pm||$525 Add to Waitlist|
|First Class Fare *SOLD OUT*||July 28 to Aug 1||Santa Monica||9am – 12:15pm||$435 Add to Waitlist|
|Restaurant Camp *SOLD OUT*||Aug 4 – Aug 8||Santa Monica||9am – 3pm||$525 Add to Waitlist|
|Restaurant Camp *SOLD OUT*||Aug 11 – Aug 15||Santa Monica||9am – 3pm||$525 Add to Waitlist
|CIT Program||Every Session||Santa Monica||8:45am – 12:30pm (3:15pm Restaurant Camp and Taste of TV)||$275 ($330 Restaurant Camp, Taste of TV, $220 week of July 4) Register|
Session Theme Details
We think the best thing about holidays – all of them – is the food! Join us as we celebrate Valentine’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, 4th of July, and Thanksgiving — in July! We will cook festive and fun favorites like heart-shaped chocolate lava cakes, roasted chicken enchiladas with salsa fresca, all-American burgers with gourmet fixings, and savory cornbread stuffing and cranberry sauce. Throughout the week, kids will safely learn kitchen fundamentals, palate development, and culinary techniques.
Sweets & Savories
This week is all about scrumptious treats enjoyed at bakeries, cafes, bistros, and ice cream shops. Fluffy sweets and delectable savories may include carrot cake, fruit tarts with minty vanilla ice cream, farmer’s market summer salads, cold sesame noodles, roasted vegetable paninis, homemade quiche, calzones, chocolate chip French toast, minestrone soup, baguettes, cookies, and more! Throughout the week kids will safely learn kitchen fundamentals, palate development, and culinary techniques.
Taste of TV
Have you ever imagined what it would be like to start and operate a restaurant? At Restaurant Camp, budding chefs, entrepreneurs, and young restaurant enthusiasts will launch their very own restaurant! Kitchen Kids will tour a local restaurant, then become immersed in every step of the process: from establishing a name, choosing the theme, designing the decor, writing the menu, learning etiquette, and creating, cooking, and serving the signature dish. Throughout the week kids will also prepare delicious recipes and safely learn kitchen fundamentals, palate development, and culinary techniques.
Sample Day One Schedule:
9:00 – 10:00 am
- Orientation Games
- What is a restaurant? White board brainstorm on restaurants, cuisine, names, décor, etc.
10:00 – 11:00 am
- What to serve? Previewing real menus
- Kitchen orientation and scavenger hunt
11:00 – 2:00 pm
- Cook and eat lunch: Italian Restaurant Day
- Zucchini and basil risotto
- Homemade pizza with all the toppings
- Caprese pasta salad
- Chocolate tiramisu
2:00 – 3:00 pm
- Discussion on Italian food and culture and restaurant themes
- Prepare interview questions for next day’s restaurant tour
- Restaurateur notebooks and food collage
- Palate development: blind taste testing game
First Class Fare
Learn how to say delicious in 4 new languages! This week we’ll embark on a cultural and gastronomic journey around the world. We’ll discover authentic dishes and explore the culinary heritage of Greece, Italy, Japan and France. Recipes may include baklava and chicken kabobs, fresh sushi and miso soup, homemade pizza and pasta, and ratatouille and chocolate crepes! Throughout the week kids will safely learn kitchen fundamentals, palate development, and culinary techniques.
Kitchen Kid’s CIT program provides the opportunity for teens to develop leadership and culinary skills. This program is ideal for high school students who love helping younger kids and being in the kitchen. Being a Kitchen Kid CIT is fun and rewarding. Special roles include assisting culinary coaches with mini lessons at the start of each day, prepping ingredients, providing support to the younger chefs, supervising clean up, creating extra recipes throughout the week, organizing the farmer’s market day, and leading their own small group at the end of the week.
Additional Details & FAQ
- Camp Location: First Presbyterian Church kitchen, 1220 Second St. Santa Monica, CA 90404.
- Our camps are fully hands-on culinary experiences with maximum class size of 15 chefs (20 during Restaurant Camp) and a culinary coach to kid-chef ratio averaging 1:4.
- Camps are taught by Kitchen Kid culinary coaches – professionally trained chefs and classroom educators.
- Camp is open to chefs ages 7-14: kids entering 1st and 8th grade. (We occasionally accept eager 6 year olds entering 1st grade.) Because of our small class size, excellent ratio, and shared passion for cooking, this diverse age range has proven beneficial and compatible. (See exceptions: CIT Program)
- We provide chaperoned “valet” drop-off and pick-up outside in the courtyard. A Kitchen Kid coach will be outside 5 minutes before and after camp begins and ends, eliminating the need for parents to park and walk their child in. Please walk your child in on the first day of camp. Coach will not be outside for pick up on Friday because of parent tasting.
- Each session includes all ingredients, recipe book, farmers’ market field trip, and Kitchen Kid gift.
- Campers make and eat their lunch during camp each day. Please pack a water bottle and snack, if desired.
- Campers must wear close-toed shoes.
- We are not a nut-free kitchen, but we are able to accommodate campers with certain allergies and dietary restrictions. You will have the opportunity to notify us of these concerns during the enrollment process.
Enjoy a $25 discount for early bird enrollment (by April 15)! (Less for CIT sessions.) Discounts also exist for siblings enrolled in the same session and when enrolling in multiple sessions.
For scholarship information, please click here.Register Online Download Camp Brochure PDF