Are you attending the National Day of Action to Get REAL FOOD in School Lunch?
And chances are, there is a local Eat-In happening in your community.
The Time for Lunch Campaign is a national project sponsored by Slow Food USA, to encourage support for dramatic change to the Child Nutrition Act, which is up for re-authorization by Congress this fall. Rather than feeding kids USDA commodities (tator-tots and canned corn), Time for Lunch is built on this comprehensive platform:
- Invest in children’s health.
- Protect against food that puts children at risk.
- Teach children healthy habits that will last through life.
While encouraging President Obama and Congress to
- Give schools the incentive to buy local.
- Create green jobs with a School Lunch Corps.
You can read the complete platform here.
Show your support for changing the way American school children eat lunch, by sharing good food with new friends at an Eat In this Labor Day. A map of national locations is available here.
At the very least, sign the petition to get REAL FOOD in school lunch. They are searching for 6,000 more signatures before September 7.